Saturday, March 21, 2009

Reunion

Several weeks ago I ran into the couple from one of our first sandwich runs- the ones who were kicked out of the shelter for two weeks. We found each other on the T and had a wonderful reunion as the woman told me all about her new apartment that they had only been living in for a short time. I was so excited and happy for them that life had perhaps become a smidgen better. We exchanged tears and goodbyes and wished each other luck. She said that she had never forgotten about the students who had helped her get through her first night on the street.

Today I ran into the couple again. They now have a steady home, are 7 months pregnant (which means they were pregnant on the street), and have not forgotten us. She called me her "guardian angel" as I met members of her family who knew all about our group, shook my hand, and thanked me. It was an incredible experience.

I don't know how many people have been positively affected by Lesley Delivers, but I do know it has touched one life profoundly: mine.

No comments: