Saturday, March 28, 2009

Lesley Delivers with Students for Social Justice

This blog was written by Lesley University Senior Sandy Ho, President of Students For Social Justice.

The other night Students for Social Justice had the opportunity to host a Lesley Delivers event. The goal was not only to reach out to the homeless population in Harvard Square, but in doing so to connect with our friends engaged in direct service with social justice. From the social justice perspective I am engaged in classes that teach me about social policies, and have had several internships that deal with political activity on both a national and international scale. Admittedly, I went into the experience with very little experience and knowledge of direct service; simply stated, this notion of directly impacting one individual's life or several individuals' lives was new to me.

The night before however, I had attended a presentation by Dr. Jesse Gaeta - a doctor who provides healthcare for homeless individuals. In her presentation she not only gave an incredibly eye-opening and humbling talk on how she provides health care services, but was able to put it into a context of what is going on in the policy world. Her discussion with us stressed that housing and health care are human rights. And though our communities and federal government has resources, her approach with her patients is not one of doctor and patient - but one that puts the individual on center stage. "How did this person come to be in the state s/he is in?" And from there she frames her support, she guides the individual, she provides the services - this is in sharp contrast to what I view my relationship with my own physicians which many times is framed in a "doctor's orders" context. That evening I asked Dr. Gaeta how she navigates the perspective of direct service with large-scale political change, and whether or not it was difficult (as she made it seem so seamless and natural). I would soon be able to find out for myself...

That night more than ever before, I felt at the cross roads of civic engagement. Up until that point I had largely thought of social justice action as those that implement structural change on a greater societal level, and direct service as a temporary band-aid on the problem. Political lobbying on Capitol Hill during my Washington Semester in D.C. vs. handing out sandwiches in Harvard Square to the homeless: The differences between the two forms of activity are obvious, but are there any similarities? Was it possible for me to connect the two 'spheres of service' ? I would soon learn that not only are there more similarities than I had thought, but the two together are critical if we are to be successful in our fight against homelessness.

I looked aroung the group of students who were out with me that night. The wide diversity in backgrounds and interests represented reflects not only a personal choice, but in doing so highlights the fact that both volunteerism and social justice provides an opportunity for diverse people to engage in a personal choice together. The second similarity I noticed was that the divide between Students for Social Justice members and Lesley Delivers was non-existant, we were all together to be involved in a purposeful and change-oriented activity.
As an intern at Be the Change Inc., a major convener of the recently passed Serve America Act - I have come to appreciate the critical need and perspective of direct impact. When legislation is presented to the Senate, our Senators utilize the stories of direct impact, effect, and positive change on real people to persuade their fellow colleagues for or against a certain political-change. As I wrapped up the group's reflection that night, we were able to see how volunteers effect political agenda-setting and policy-making, but as I said good-night to the individuals who I had gotten to know better that night I also realized that the direct volunteerism we were involved in changes the relationships between people of different parts of society.

No comments: