Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A bread-tastic surprise

Last night we encountered a fair amount of people within the first the few minutes of our run on the stretch by CVS. I continued down the Au Bon Pain route, and noticed some of the same people I've seen out other weeks. Something that caught my attention on the way back was a huge box of bread sitting at the back of one of the entrances to the t (the one right in front of the new Starbucks and Pinkberry). It looked like it from Panera. I know Panera doesn't keep their leftovers at the end of the night, but I'm pleased that someone was willing to drop the extras off at Harvard Square, instead of throwing them out. I mean, who doesn't love bread?

Last week we also saw some food left out near the church. I kind of wish there could be one place where people knew to leave food, and then people in need would know where to go. Speaking of that, one thing that came up during our discussion was that a usually popular spot near the Tannery that has been empty the last few weeks. The group that takes that route noticed that the small area closed off by tarps and wooden boards had been nailed shut. In previous seasons we had a relationship with some of the people we saw frequently, and we knew that closed off space was a safe place to leave sandwiches, blankets, coats, or anything else we might have to offer. We had been told by people who we frequently saw on our runs that it was safe spot, and that they would get to the people who needed them.

Something else that came up during discussion was that, as you all have probably noticed, it has gotten quite chilly outside! We do have a coat and blanket drive coming up in November, and we'll pass out the donations on our runs. I think it gets even harder to see people who are without a home as the weather gets worse, and I know I'll be glad to do what I can to help, even if it's as simple as offering them a blanket with their sandwich.

Ginny

No comments: